Quand une loi protégeant ma langue limite mes choix

En magasinant en ligne hier sur le site de Best Buy, je suis tombé sur un article qui se vendait seulement en ligne et qui avait une note spéciale pour les résidents du Québec. Cette note, que je vous montre ci-haut, se résume au fait que je ne peux commander cet item, car le fabricant n’offre ce produit qu’en anglais…

Ici, je ne veux pas partir un débat sur la loi 101, mais je suis curieux. Ardent magasineur en ligne, cela m’arrive de ne pouvoir commander un article, mais principalement, car le magasin ne livre pas au Canada. Je reçois pourtant plein d’articles seulement en anglais. Est-ce que Best Buy a raison de faire ainsi? Est-ce que les autres sites en lignes me vendent illégalement des produits seulement en anglais? Est-ce que parce que Best Buy à un pied-à-terre au Canada? Je dois dire que si Best Buy a raison, ce que je pense, c’est légèrement abusif comme loi et même si je fais plusieurs choses en anglais, comme ce blogue, j’aime ma langue! On ne parle même pas d’un item qui va arriver sur les étalages: cet item va passer d’un entrepôt à ma maison… Bref, ça ma choqué et intrigué. Je vais m’informer et voir si je ne trouve pas réponse à mes interrogations.

Share the love

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn Google Plus

/*Comments*/

1. Seriously? Wait… Québec doesn’t allow products that don’t contain English? I thought it was the other way around. What product was it? I know that the rules and guidelines for Québec are that the language on most things must be presented French then English. When I used to work at YPG, I was in charge of all the covers and tabs; the majority of directories that are there were in French only. There were only a handful that were bilingual.

Looking at the charter under the commerce section (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_of_the_French_Language#Commerce_and_business), it only says that French should be presented equal to the predominant language if exists. The way I read that is that if French is not the primary language, that it is taken equally into consideration to the primary language.

I would be curious to know why it is that Best Buy has had this policy. Especially as you said that if it is ordering online, there is no store presence. Want to ship it to me and you can pick it up later this month? Ontario for the win :-D

11/08/2012 10:36AM
    • No, it’s the other way around. The product I was looking for was a monitor for my computer. I don’t remember the brand. Oh, and thanks for the offer, I was not looking to buy this model, but if that happen, I’ll let you know!

11/11/2012 10:27AM
  2. Sometimes, I think about stopping to use French and let it die just so that I no longer need to worry about these most inconvenient and useless laws. I’m very good in French, mind you. Probably better than half the natives here and my friends will confirm. But if this keeps up, I’ll choose convenience over preserving my fourth spoken language.

11/08/2012 01:51PM
    • I think it makes sense for you, but for someone like me, who is a native French speaker, I cannot let this language go. First I use it all day long with friends, and family. Of course, English is more convenient as mostly everybody know it, you can reach more people, products are in English… but still, French is my language, even if I’m making mistakes.

As for the law, I’m mixed. I understand that we need to protect this language, as if we don’t do it, English will take over it. At the other end, I’m a bit sick of all these restrictions that doesn’t make sense…

11/11/2012 10:30AM
  3. I agree that Québec needs and wants to protect the fact that it’s a French province, especially being the only province with the official language being solely French in Canada. So I would understand that Bill/Loi 101 has to exist to provide Québec residents with the right of having French labels on products sold in Québec. It’s like going to Germany and selling a product there without a German label, would that be acceptable? I don’t think so.

However, buying online is a totally different story. If Best Buy won’t ship a product to Québec because it doesn’t have a French label, then almost all online stores should be banned from shipping to Québec! Best Buy should maybe write a note/warning informing the customer that a French label doesn’t exist on this product, but definitely not deciding not to ship it at all! As you said, it’s from a warehouse to the customer’s door. If the customer is fine with non-French labels, then it’s the customer’s choice. However, it’s not the customer’s choice to shop in a store and find a product without a French label. Thus Bill 101 is reasonable, as explained earlier, for stores in Québec but not for shipping from online stores!

Btw, feel free to ship it to Vancouver. I’ll be more than happy to forward it to you!

11/08/2012 02:31PM
    • I totally agree with you. Even if I speak (with a lovely accent!), and understand English, because I’m a French native, most of the time, I prefer to have French labels on the products I’m buying, but it should be my choice to be able to order a non-French item, if I want to!

Thanks for the offer, I’ll let you know if I need to do it.

11/11/2012 10:34AM
  4. This makes no sense. If it were true, then Amazon or Chapters/Indigo or for that matter any American apparel company could sell very very little into Quebec. I think either BestBuy is falling victim to over-cautious lawyers or they are stupid, or are trying to provoke us.

11/30/2012 06:35PM
    • @Adam: I didn’t have the time to check why, but I’ll do it as I want to understand.

12/03/2012 11:44AM
    • Il serait intéressant de voir si la notice sur l’article a changé depuis. Je serais heureux de vous aider dans la recherche – si tu peux afficher le lien au produit.

12/09/2012 04:56PM
    • Je ne trouve plus la notice, mais je vous fais signe si je retrouve les articles qui avaient cette note.

12/09/2012 06:27PM