I’m here to help you with Firefox OS

FFxOSDevs_
As you probably know now, my new role at Mozilla is all about Firefox OS. I’ll have opportunities to do broader Open Web stuff like the friends (and now co-workers) Christian Heilmann, and Robert Nyman do, but at the end, 99,9% of my time will be dedicated to the mobile side of the Open Web with our new OS. This assignment was a perfect fit for me as it combined many of my passions, and experiences: the Web, Open Standard, Open Source, and mobility.

As you also know, I like to help people, and I firmly believe that the role of an Evangelist is not just to promote stuff, but also to help others being successful. So part of my role is to help you, Web developers, to create, and deploy your application to the Marketplace (or not, as you don’t have to). It doesn’t matter if you are building a new application for Firefox OS, if you are porting a website, if you are porting a mobile application you did with web technologies (Windows 8, Blackberry, PhoneGap, WebOS…) or even if you are porting a native mobile app (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone…).

The process is simple, send me an email to fharper@mozilla.com with information about what you are trying to achieve, what is your problem, and with the code you tried, cause the error or isn’t working. If you even have code I can download/install, and try, it will make my work easier. A better way to do would be to ask your question on StackOverflow, and send me the link by email or on Twitter. If so, the question, and the answer will be public, and it’ll help more people. I highly encourage you to use the latter if nothing is private, and also, let’s be clear, there is no stupid question!

Last but not least, I just don’t want to hear from you if you are having a problem. If you get a good experience with the platform, please let me know. I, as well, would like to know if you successfully published your application to the marketplace! I also encourage you to share this post to everyone who could take advantage of it. So did you start to play with Firefox OS? Did you already build something? Do you have any plan to do so in the future? Share your thoughts!

Share the love

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn Google Plus

/*Comments*/

1. So, when can I get you to come in and present to the now 1,600 HTML Toronto members on Firefox OS?

07/26/2013 09:33PM
    • This is amazing to see so much interest in Toronto about Web technologies. I’ll be more than happy to present at HTML Toronto, let’s see when it’ll make sense.

07/27/2013 09:36AM
    • Where / when can I get my hands on a copy of FFOS? I’d love to give it a spin and see what it’s like.

07/30/2013 05:37PM
    • Loader is fine. I’d love to run it through it’s paces. I have a few tests I run on them to see about their capabilities. I think the idea of having a browser capability area of the HTML Toronto site is now out of scope as there are far better sites for that, but I’d love the ability to answer questions and provide feedback for developers who ask “my thoughts” on things exactly like this.

07/30/2013 08:34PM
    • Make total sense, but I’ll need to prioritize people who want to build an application for the platform.

07/31/2013 09:11PM
    • The fact that you say that simply means that they have the right person for the job. I ABSOLUTELY encourage you to ensure developers get their hands on this before reviewers. This is one of the problems most major manufacturers make. Keep it up.

08/01/2013 11:14AM
  2. As you already know, I haven’t developed anything for Firefox OS or probably won’t do so in the future because development isn’t really my thing. I’m more of a PR/publication/journalist type of guy. So I’m just keeping my finger crossed to see awesome apps release on Firefox Marketplace and let the world know about them on Mozilla Magazine. :)

I’ve also applied to be a Firefox Marketplace app reviewer. Hoping that I’ll be allowed.

07/27/2013 09:21AM
    • This is also very important as we need people to share the awesomeness of the platform, and to show to the rest of the world what developers created. I’m sure you’ll be a good app reviewer.

07/27/2013 09:38AM