Trace a line between the web, and your private life

Creative Commons: http://j.mp/1cB9LKZ

Creative Commons: http://j.mp/1cB9LKZ

People often tell me that I share a lot of things on the Web: it’s true. As weird as it seems to some people, I traced a line between my private life, and what I’m sharing online.

It’s important in today’s world to trace a line between your personal life, and the web itself. With services like Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Instagram, and more, it has never been so easy to share every little moment of your life with friends, family, but also with strangers. I won’t talk about the privacy rights (or not) on these websites as I’m not an expert on this topic, but the truth is that mostly everything you put on the web, will probably live there forever (kind of), and someone, somewhere, will have access to it. Don’t get me wrong, I like the web, but I used to tell people that if you want something to stay private, just don’t put it on the web (even if you carefully set the privacy settings, and targeted who will see what you want to share).

My rule is quite simple as there are few things I don’t want to share online: I don’t want people to know where I’m living (neighborhood is ok), and I don’t want people to have my phone number (I hate this way of communicating, too intrusive for me). This is my line between privacy, and the web… what is yours?

Share the love

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn Google Plus

/*Comments*/

1. Same thing here with where I exactly live. Of course no phone number. And one of my rules is I don’t publish photos with my children on Twitter.
    If I wan’t to expose some of my things, I don’t like to involucrate my family on my crazyness.

01/08/2014 02:42PM
    • If I had kids, I would probably do the same thing. I have some friends who created a Facebook account for their kids, and are putting pictures, and events in their lives: I like the idea is it’s well done, and if the “privacy” if correctly managed. It’s a kind of life diary for when they’ll be hold enough to appreciate it.

01/09/2014 08:19PM
  2. …and don’t forget to anonymize your contact info when you register a domain name…

01/08/2014 03:48PM
    • Yes, for now, it’s the address of the office I had while I was freelancer, three years ago, so I don’t really care, but I should update the information with the right one, and put their private. Thanks for the tips!

01/09/2014 08:21PM
  3. I think, other than sharing as you guys say, address and ph#, everything is up for grabs. If someone truly wanted to get a hold of those too they likely could. I’ve gone a good number of years having to keep things off certain networks for fear of professional reprimand (moonlighting). It’s been a major hassle. I’m working through that finally and will hopefully get to be “me” in short order. We haven’t gone so far as to make FB pages for our kids, but I have registered their names as domain names. Lives (personal and private for better or worse) will be thrust online at a much more rapid pace (think health records) and there is really nothing we can do to stop it. Even unplugging and abstaining from technology doesn’t make you invulnerable. So I say embrace it…cautiously certainly when it comes to personal safety and our children..but resistance will be futile.

01/09/2014 08:39PM
    • I totally agree, and I would say that being transparent is probably the best tool we have. I’ve decided to be myself in every part of my life, even online, and it pays me.

01/10/2014 07:49PM